About Acoustically Enhanced Gypsum Board
Acoustically Enhanced Gypsum Board
Gold Bond® BRAND SoundBreak Gypsum Board is an acoustically enhanced gypsum board used in the construction of high rated STC wall assemblies. This 5/8" thick gypsum board consists of a layer of viscoelastic damping polymer sandwiched between two pieces of enhanced high density mold resistant gypsum board, providing constrained layer damping.
For speed of installation, GridMarX® guide marks are printed on the paper surface.
Long edges of the panels are tapered. Tapered edges allow joints to be reinforced and concealed with ProForm® BRAND Joint Tape and ProForm® BRAND Easy Finish® or Sta-Smooth® BRAND joint treatment compounds.
- For use as single-layer application or as a component of multi-layered wall assemblies where sound transmission between rooms or dwelling units is a concern.
Features & Benefits
- Use of SoundBreak Gypsum Board results in wall partitions with high rated STC values that are thinner than traditionally built high rated STC wall partitions, providing increased useable floor space.
- Superior sound damping, cost efficient material that is easily finished and decorated in the same manner as regular gypsum board.
- All SoundBreak Gypsum Board designs were tested by an independent third-party acoustical laboratory using the full scale ASTM E90 test procedure.
- SoundBreak Gypsum Board is installed like traditional gypsum board offering a more reliable and less complicated solution than alternative methods requiring clips and/or channels.
- SoundBreak Gypsum Board can be cut by scoring deeply from both sides of the board before snapping, or with the use of a hand or power saw.
As an option, SoundBreak Gypsum Board may be used as an additional layer on one or both sides of fire-rated wall assemblies (i.e., U300, U400 and V400 series designs). SoundBreak Gypsum Board cannot be used as a substitute for 5/8" Type X gypsum board in a fire-rated assembly.
SoundBreak Gypsum Board shall be attached in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations. When SoundBreak Gypsum Board is installed between the framing and the UL Classified gypsum board, the UL Classified gypsum board layer(s) required for the design is/are to be installed as indicated in the design as to fastener type and spacing, except that the required fastener length shall be increased by a minimum of 5/8".
For U300, U400 and V400 series designs, outer layer treated with joint compound and paper tape as specified in the design.
Mold and Mildew Resistance*
SoundBreak Gypsum Board was designed to provide extra protection against mold and mildew compared to standard wallboard products. When tested by an independent lab per ASTM D 3273 ("Standard Test Method for Resistance to Growth of Mold on the Surface of Interior Coatings in an Environmental Chamber"), SoundBreak Gypsum Board achieved a score of 10, the best possible score for this test.
*The use of SoundBreak Gypsum Board in actual installations may not produce the same results as were achieved in controlled, laboratory conditions. No material can be considered "mold-proof", nor is it certain that any material will resist mold or mildew indefinitely. When used in conjunction with good design, handling and construction practices, SoundBreak Gypsum Board can provide increased mold resistance versus standard wallboard products. As with any building material, avoiding water exposure during handling, storage and installation, and after installation is complete, is the best way to avoid the formation of mold or mildew.
New Product From National Gypsum: Gold Bond® e2XP® Interior Extreme® (Aug 6, 2012)
'Accidental Intimacy' and Other Sounds of Noisy Neighbors Top Complaints of Living in Condos, Apartments, Townhomes (Jun 6, 2007)
07270 - Air Barrier
09200 - Plaster and Gypsum Board
09205 - Furring and Lathing
09250 - Gypsum Board
09260 - Gypsum Board Assemblies
09270 - Gypsum Board Accessories
06 16 43 - Gypsum Sheathing
07 27 00 - Air Barriers
09 20 00 - Plaster and Gypsum Board
09 21 16 - Gypsum Board Assemblies
09 21 16.23 - Gypsum Board Shaft Wall Assemblies
09 21 16.33 - Gypsum Board Area Separation Wall Assemblies
09 22 13 - Metal Furring
09 22 36 - Lath
09 22 39 - Veneer Plaster Base
09 28 13 - Cementitious Backing Boards
09 29 00 - Gypsum Board
13 49 19 - Lead-Lined Materials