Fountain Specification. CSI 3-Part Specifications.
PART 1 - GENERAL
A. Section Includes:
1. Factory Finished Units: Provide STONEWEAR finished glass fiber reinforced concrete (GFRC) fountains with accessories for complete installation.
A. American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM):
1. ASTM C 33-99: Concrete Aggregates.
2. ASTM C 150-98: Portland Cement.
3. ASTM C 979-82(1993): Pigments for Integrally Colored Concrete.
B. American Welding Society (AWS) D1.1-88: Structural Welding Code, Steel.
C. Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI) MNL-128-87: Recommended Practice for Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete Panels.
D. Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI) MNL-117-77: Manual for Quality Control for Plants and Production of Architectural Precast Concrete Products.
A. Submit the following in accordance with requirements in Division 1.
B. Product Data: Submit STONEWEAR's literature.
C. Shop Drawings: Show detailing including component dimensions, drainage, and accessories if applicable.
D. Samples: Minimum 4" x 4" sample finish and color.
1.04 QUALITY ASSURANCE
A. Installer Qualifications: Firm with minimum five years successful experience installation of GFRC concrete fountains and acceptable to fountain manufacturer, STONEWEAR.
B. Fire Rating: Provide units conforming with Underwriters Laboratories (UL), Class A. maximum 25 flame spread; maximum 25 smoke contributed, ASTM E 84-98e1.
1.05 DELIVERY, STORAGE AND HANDLING
A. Handling: Handle fountains in positions consistent with their shape and design; lift and support only from points under part unless specific lift embeds are specified in shop drawings.
B. Protection: Protect fountains to prevent staining, chipping, and spalling; damaged units will be rejected.
1.06 SITE CONDITIONS
A. Services: Do not install units until mechanical and electrical services located behind units are completed, tested, and approved.
PART 2 - PRODUCTS
A. STONEWEAR Fountains, 800-297-8663
B. Substitutions: Refer to Division 1.
A. GFRC fountains:
1. Fountains: Glass fiber reinforced concrete (GFRC) fountains suitable for interior/exterior and high traffic applications.
a. Cement: ASTM C 150, use only one brand and type of cement throughout Project.
b. Glass Fibers: Alkali resistant (AR) glass fibers produced specifically for use in glass fiber reinforced concrete; STONEWEAR's standard types.
1) Glass Content of GFRC unit to be minimum 3% in 1" to 1 1/2" length.
c. Aggregates: Clear silica sand passing No. 16 (1.18mm) sieve; washed, dried, and free from deleterious materials; provide type with successful history of use in GFRC or as specified by STONEWEAR.
d. Compressive Strength: Minimum 3000 psi.
e. Shell Thickness: 3/8" to 5/8".
f. Density: Approximately 120 pcf.
g. Polymer Admixture: Manufacturer's standard acrylic thermoplastic copolymer.
a. Factory Finished Units: STONEWEAR's standard finish as selected by Architect and indicated on Drawings.
1) Cement: White or grey as consistent with final finish.
2) Facing Aggregates: ASTM C 33 (less gradation), clean, hard, durable, inert, and free of staining and deleterious materials; as required to match approved samples.
3) Color: ASTM C 979, pure, non-fading mineral oxides which do not impair strength of GFRC; designed and mixed to provide color matching approved samples; maximum 10% cement weight.
4) Applied finishes: ASTMD 4060-95 waterborne crosslinked acrylic 49.5 +/- 2% solids by weight providing 1000 cycles per .001 inch resistance to abrasion.
B. Accessories: STONEWEAR's standard materials and accessories as required for fountains as indicated on drawings.
C. Brackets and Anchors: Unexposed plates, angles and supports may be stamensted steel; separate dissimilar materials to prevent electrolytic action.
D. Fasteners: Type required for specific usage; provide concealed fasteners except where specifically approved.
A. Standard: Comply with PCI MNL-128 recommended practice for glass fiber reinforced concrete panels, including Appendix G, Polymer Modified Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete Panels.
B. Units: Manufacture and cure units to ensure similarity of dimension and finish throughout, free from casting joint marks, grain, and obvious defects.
C. Inserts and Embedments: Embed into units in manner to develop full strength required for insert and embedment without weakening unit; maintain sufficient embedment for design requirements.
D. Fabrication Tolerances: Prefabricate fountains within following maximum differences from dimensions indicated in Contract Documents;
1. Dimension: Plus of minus 1/8" in any direction, noncumulative.
2. Material Thickness: Plus 1/4" and minus 0".
3. Total Unit Thickness: Plus 1/4" and minus 1/8".
4. Insert Locations: Plus or minus 1/4".
2.04 SOURCE QUALITY CONTROL
A. Factory Quality Control Program: STONEWEAR shall maintain quality control program throughout fabrication of fountains.
B. Standard: Conform with requirements of PCI MNL-117 for quality control.
C. Testing: Quality control program shall include forty-eight hour water test of all units with records maintained on permanent label on unit and at place of manufacture.
PART 3 - EXECUTION
A. Inspection: Check Project dimensions affecting installation; beginning of work signifies acceptance of conditions.
A. Placement: Install units in accordance with STONEWEAR's instructions, including methods for moving and placement provided by manufacturer.
A. Clean soiled units using methods recommended by STONEWEAR; use extreme care to prevent damage to unit surfaces and surrounding materials.
A. Protection: Repair or replace items damaged or marred during construction.
1. Factory Finished Units: Mix and place patching mixtures to match color and texture of surrounding finish; replace units which cannot be acceptably patched.
a. Patch Acceptance: Patches noticeable from a distance of 5'-0" are not acceptable.
Click here to go to the STONEWEAR home page.
� 1997, 1998, 1999 STONEWEAR
2900 LOCKHEED WAY, CARSON CITY, NV 89706 | 775-883-8300