Life Cycle Inventory of Sto Engineered Cladding Systems
A recent life-cycle inventory conducted by Franklin Associates/ERG in April 2009 shows that Sto Corp. engineered cladding systems, especially StoTherm™ NExT, outperform other wall claddings over a full 50-year product life. Comparisons with typical brick and stucco in terms of production energy, heating/cooling energy, solid waste, and greenhouse-gas emissions reveal a clear advantage for insulated Sto claddings, in particular over non-insulated brick and stucco walls.
A new Life-Cycle Inventory (LCI) of wall cladding products has been conducted to compare energy use and environmental impacts associated with several residential wall types. Three Sto Corp. cladding systems – StoTherm™ NExT EIFS, StoPowerwallTM NExT stucco, and StoQuik™ Silver NExT cement-board stucco – are analyzed and compared to typical brick and stucco walls, with and without foam insulation, for a typical residential property.
The LCI results demonstrate good life-cycle performance of the Sto Corp. cladding systems in terms of waste, emissions, and energy used in production, construction and building operations. In particular, StoTherm NExT claddings excel in reducing life-cycle energy use and greenhouse-gas emissions. Key findings include:
• StoTherm NExT requires the least production energy (manufacturing phase) of the insulated claddings. In the “cradle-to-wall” phase, StoTherm NExT also requires the least energy.
• In operations, uninsulated brick and stucco consume about twice as much heating/cooling energy as StoTherm NExT.
• Over the full 50-year life cycle, energy demand is lower for StoTherm NExT than for uninsulated brick or stucco.
• All the Sto Corp. systems, including StoTherm NExT, contribute less solid waste than typical brick or stucco.
• StoTherm NExT has the lowest total greenhouse-gas emissions.
For other relevant searches, you might want to try:
|(07240) Exterior Insulation and Finish Systems (EIFS)|
(09220) Portland Cement Plaster
(09940) Decorative Finishes
(07 24 00) Exterior Insulation and Finish Systems|
(09 24 00) Cement Plastering
(09 94 00) Decorative Finishing