Plasti-Shield Boron-Filled Polyethylene Shielding is a lightweight, cost-effective neutron shielding solution
Plasti-Shield ® Boron Filled Polyethylene Neutron Shielding, supplied by MarShield, is a lightweight, cost-effective neutron shielding solution to attenuate and absorb neutron radiation and is an extremely effective for applications in industrial, healthcare cancer treatment centers, diagnostic and hospital facilities.
Most radioactive fields consist of different types of radiation. The most common include fast neutron, thermal neutron, primary gamma rays and secondary gamma rays. Plasti-Shield ® is a borated polyethylene designed to attenuate these types of radiations.
- Fast Neutrons are most effectively shielded by hydrogen. Plasti-Shield ® has an inherently high concentration of hydrogen, over 13% of volume.
- Thermal Neutrons are shielded by polyethylene with the presence of boron, such as Plasti-Shield ® Industrial Grade with 5% boron by weight.
- Primary Gamma Rays are best shielded with lead or other high-density materials. It is common to combine a lead lining with Plasti-Shield ® in applications requiring attenuation of primary gamma rays.
- Secondary Gamma Rays are created by the capture of thermal neutrons by hydrogen. These captured gamma rays can be minimized by adding boron, resulting in a significantly reduced energy dosage of only .42 MeV.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Available in 5% (or 2%) boron content
- Standard sheet size of 48" x 96" x 1" thick (160lbs)
- Durable over a wide temperature range
- Consistent density and homogeneity
- Rated to MIL-P-23536A and EB2562E specifications
- Used as medical and industrial neutron shielding for more than 25 years.
- Light-weight, cost-effective and easily fabricated
- High cross-section for consistent neutron attenuation.
- Specific Gravity is 0.92.
- Airport Security and Sea Port Security
- Medical Vaults
- Nuclear Reactors
- Nuclear Storage
- Nuclear-Powered Vessels & Vehicles
- Research Applications
- Linear Particle Accelerators
- Transport Containers
So when you are looking for a light-weight, cost effective, highly effective solution for protection from Neutron Radiation or where different types of radiation are present … look no further than Plasti-Shield ® Borated Polyethylene from MarShield !
See more information on our Borated Polyethylene here or feel free to contact our product engineers anytime for a consultation.
For other relevant searches, you might want to try: