The Faster Way To Resurface And Renew A Concrete Sidewalk In A Shopping Mall
Resurfacing existing concrete surfaces is a fantastic way to extend the life and rejuvenate a sidewalk in a shopping mall. Last week Chris Balmer of Balmer Bros from Lancaster, PA called me to discuss a faster way to resurface a sidewalk in Broadcasting Square Mall in Wyomissing, PA so that there is minimal downtime. The sidewalk was structurally sound but it was stained extensively. The goal of the management of the shopping mall was to spruce up the looks of the sidewalk without sacrificing the broom texture of the existing surface.
Most of the concrete overlays available in the maket add thickness to the surface and quiet often the textured surface looses its texture. Therefore we wanted to spray a polymer based concrete overlay so that the broom texture on the surface is not lost in the process. The resurfacing of sidewalk involved the following steps -
- a. Surface preparation…a very important step…an area of 3000sft was powerwashed and allowed to dry. Also, the walls and glass windows were covered upto 48″ from the base.
- b. Priming…the surface was thoroughly primed with high solids acrylic polymer, Cp1000. It was allowed to cure overnight (12-16 hours).
- c. Next day the area was cordoned and leaves etc. were blown off the surface.
- d. Sprayer was set up and the Arapido was mixed at recommended proportions.
- e. An area of 3000sft was completely resurfaced in 45 minutes!
- f. Usually we do not recommend this…but on this project as it was going to rain that night, we sprayed a very light mist of Perdure A01 (solvent based acrylic sealer). Before attempting to this you must check with your sales representative.
Within a day the Broadcasting Square Mall has a brand new sidewalk which they can be proud off. Fred, the Maintenance Supervisor was very pleased with the outcome and said this is the way to quickly resurface sidewalsk, proches and driveways.
Düraamen Engineered Products is one of the leading manufacturers of seamless flooring systems – Self leveling concrete, Industrial coatings, Decorative concrete micro-toppings/overlays, decorative quartz flooring, designer metallic epoxy coatings, conductive flooring, moisture vapor treatments, chemical stains, water based stains, concrete densifiers, polyurethane cement floors, epoxy crack repair and joint filling compounds and high performance concrete sealers (acrylic, epoxy, polyurethane and polyaspartic). Düraamen technical representatives work closely with architects, engineers, specifiers, property owners/managers and contractors right from specification through installation of the products. Düraamen products are installed be trained installers across USA and Canada.
For other relevant searches, you might want to try: