The New OSHA Confined Space Regulation Update 1926 goes into effect today!
|Subscribe to FREE newsletter||Aug 14, 2015|
OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) has issued a final rule for confined space in construction, increasing protections for construction workers in confined spaces, which goes into effect on August 3, 2015. Confined spaces include manholes, crawl spaces, tanks and other spaces not intended for long-term occupation.
Employers have until October 2, 2015 to fully comply: OSHA has granted a 60-day temporary enforcement period during which employers won’t be fined if they are working to comply with the new standard. It’s a good idea to start training your employees and getting the necessary equipment in place as soon as possible.
Overall, the new rule offers construction workers similar protection to that of manufacturing and general industry workers. Differences unique to construction include requirements that ensure multiple employers share vital safety information and to continuously monitor hazards. OSHA expects that the rule will prevent nearly 800 injuries a year.
This new rule requires employers to follow several general requirements, including:
- Informing exposed workers by posting danger signs about the confined space (such as DANGER — PERMIT REQUIRED CONFINED SPACE, DO NOT ENTER)
- Preventing unauthorized employees from entering the space.
- Providing temporary covers when a confined space entrance is uncovered.
- Having a written permit space program available to employees prior and during entry operations.
- Providing training for employees to ensure they possess the required understanding, knowledge and skills to stay safe.
- Ensuring safe rescues by providing employees with proper personal protective equipment (PPE) needed to save workers in danger.
View Seton's OSHA and Safety LabelsCount on Seton for all of the products you need—from safety signs to PPE (personal protective equipment)—to keep your workers safe and your workplace compliant with the new confined space regulations.
For other relevant searches, you might want to try:
|(00 73 19) Health and Safety Requirements|
(10 14 00) Signage
(10 40 00) Safety Specialties
(33 05 26) Utility Identification|
(33 05 26.13) Utility Identification Signs
(41 43 19) Labeling Equipment